7 Days Mt. Kilimanjaro via Machame Route
OTHER CLIMBING ROUTES
7 DAYS MT. KILIMANJARO CLIMBING VIA MACHAME ROUTE
DAY BY DAY ITINERARY
- Airport collection and drive to overnight in L’Oasis Lodge in Arusha
- Circa 4-5 hours hiking
- After breakfast 08:30 you drive to the start of the Machame route we drive to Machame road head (70 kms) and start hiking to 3,100m we now leave the park gate and walk through the Rain Forest on a winding trail to the first uniport hut which is located at an altitude of (3048 mtrs) we continue a short distance until we reach the Machame Hut, where we spend the night at our first campsite BLD
- Circa 4-5 hours hiking leaving the “glades of rain forest” we now follow the steep ridge, which veers west, and after 3-4 hours gradually ascend the Shira Plateau and our campsite at an altitude of 3,840 mtrs. BLD
- Shira Plateau extra acclimatisation day, can also be taken at Karanga Valley. Short walks to places of interest can be taken. BLD
- Circa 6 hours hiking
- From Shira we walk east on the plateau, following the trail leading to the Lava Tower (Sharks Tooth).
- Shortly before the tower we branch off onto the path to the Umbwe Ridge and Barranco Hut which is situated at 3900m. Our campsite is a further 30 minutes walk beyond the hut beside a glacial stream.
- From here there are superb views of the Southern Ice Cliffs and the Breach Wall. BLD
- Circa 8 hours hiking
- today we scramble to the top of the Great Barranco and traverse over scree and ridges beneath the ice falls of the heim kersten and decken glaciers.
- After a steep pull out of the Karanga Valley we ascend the ridge leading to the Barafu Huts at 4600m. BLD
- Circa 11 hours hiking
- After an early start, we ascend directly to the rim of Kibo between the Rebmann and Retzel glaciers.
- From here it is about a 45 minute walk to Uhuru Peak 5, 895 mtrs – the roof of Africa, with fine views of Mt. Meru to the west and the Jagged Peak of Mawenzi to the east.
- We then descend to Barafu Hut and our overnight camp. BLD
- We descend to Mweka Gate, passing Karanga Hut through the forest.
- On arrival at the gate you will receive your Certificate of Accomplishment and be taken by our vehicle back to your lodge for a much needed hot shower and rest.
Overnight Arusha L’Oasis Lodge. BLD
Transfer to Kilimanjaro or Arusha.
OPTION OF PRIVATE TOILET $190
Airport transfers Kilimanjaro – arrival & departure / all park fees / ranger fees / 4×4 Transport / English speaking driver-guide/ full board =breakfast+lunch+dinner & hotel accommodation days as shown above subject to availability. Flying doctors service
All things of a personal nature ie: alcohol / tips-gratuities/laundry,
Souvenirs / airport taxes/Sleeping bags
Tips/ gratuities: the price we have given you does not include tips/ gratuities for the porters, guides, as in the rest of the world, tips are given only when the clients are satisfied with the service they have been given. It is customary however to tip ones guides and porters – guidelines will be given.